If you’re a regular blog reader you’ve probably seen me eat this chicken combination often on my what I ate Wednesday posts….
It’s also always in my grocery hauls. I love AppleGate Farms Southwestern chicken. You may also know that cooking raw chicken grosses me out, so this chicken has been the perfect solution for me! It is pretty expensive though so I decided to try and make my own southwestern chicken recipe and save some money. My version came out pretty similar and while I will probably still pick up Applegate farm’s brand on occasion (convenience always wins for me) it’s good to know I have this option too!
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 bag frozen or 1 box fresh spinach
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 tbs. molasses
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/8 tsp. cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a non stick skillet with your olive oil.
- Dice your chicken breast into small cubes and saute in the olive oil.
- Dice your bell peppers into small pieces and heat your spinach if frozen.
- Once your chicken is almost cooked (there is no more pink), add in your diced bell pepper.
- Continue to saute until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Add in your seasoning and spices starting with the molasses and ending with salt and pepper.
- Continue to stir and saute and add in your fresh or pre cooked spinach.
- Heat until the spinach has wilted and everything is heated.
- Optional: Squeeze with lemon or lime juice and sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes for extra spice!
Any store bought foods you always go with over homemade??? Are you all about convenience like me?