It’s been forever since I’ve had macaroni and cheese. Being gluten free doesn’t often allow for rich cheesy mac and cheese. Neither does eating healthy considering it is an overload of cheese, fat, and simple starchy carbs! Here is a recipe you don’t have to feel quite as bad about! I replaced the pasta with quinoa to give you a little more protein and fiber but didn’t skimp on the cheese! So next time you have a craving for macaroni and cheese give this a try! I promise it doesn’t taste a bit healthy!
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or skim milk)
- 1 1/4 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 tsp. arrowroot powder
- 1.5 cups cooked quinoa
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a saucepan over low heat whisk together your egg, milk of choice, 1 cup of the cheese, and the tsp. of arrowroot powder.
- Continue whisking occasionally 4-5 minutes until your cheese starts to melt.
- Mix in your quinoa and pour into a casserole dish sprayed with olive oil.
- Top your mix with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, remove from the oven, stir well, and bake for 20 minutes longer.
- Take out your Quinoa and Cheese and enjoy!
What’s your ultimate comfort food meal???