Before I get to today’s recipe I just wanted to thank everyone who read or commented on my post yesterday! The support I received was amazing and let me tell you, I was so scared to post such a personal piece but I really wanted to get my thoughts out there. I can’t thank you enough for being so supportive, accepting, and thoughtful! You are all amazing. Onto the recipe…
I always find it contradictory that I have a website with all these baking and cooking recipes and in reality my meals are never fancy or elaborate! I am very happy with simple meals like eggs and coconut oil, lean protein, veggies, and a carb and if I want dessert it usually means a piece of dark chocolate. Sometimes I find these meals can get boring to share on my blog so I am always looking for ways to make simple meals look just a little fancier. This recipe is a great example. This literally takes all of 10 minutes to make and you have a fancy topping for a protein of choice. Little confession for you: I hate cooking meat. It grosses me out! Especially chicken and turkey so a lot of times I buy the precooked kind from trader joe’s and it’s perfect. I do like to make it seem somewhat homemade though so I might throw something like this topping on top. This would also be really great mixed into a bowl with quinoa if you’re vegan or vegetarian. So many options…
- 2 pears (I used organic bosc but any will work)
- 1/4 cup apple juice sweetened dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup apple juice (Just apple juice, no added sugar)
- Make it Sweet: 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Make it Savory: 1/2 tsp. rosemary
- In a small saucepan over medium heat combine your diced pears, apple juice, spice of choice, and cranberries.
- When the juice starts to come to a slow boil lower your heat and let simmer.
- Serve on top of a protein of your choice (chicken, pork, turkey, or quinoa all work well) and enjoy!
Makes around 4 servings
Served on top of my precooked turkey and it was perfect.
Anyone else have cooking shortcuts you like to make??? Mine is definitely precooked meat. Saves me time and cuts down on the grossness factor!