First off I wanted to thank you for all your helpful comments yesterday on ways to get more greens and veggies. I want to share some of your tips today in case you missed out yesterday:
- Michelle Suggests~Kale chips, massaged kale salads, or swiss chard with lemon juice, pepper, and pairing with fish
- Lucie Suggests~ Spinach and Eggs
- Allison Suggests~ A blend of sauteed spinach, bell peppers, onions, and chicken sausage
- Linz Suggests~ Greens topped with nutritional yeast
- Amanda Suggests~ Adding them in a salad or smoothie
- Chelsea Suggests~ Massaged kale salad with olive oil and balsamic, frittatas, or stir fries
- Kim Suggests~ Finely chopped spinach in scrambled eggs or omelets for breakfast or dinner
- Kierston and Lisa Suggest~ Roasted veggies to bring out the flavor!
- Laura Suggests~Blending them into a spicy soup or protein ice cream
- …and so many more ideas. Thank you everyone for sharing!
Onto today’s recipe…
When I was younger Fig Newtons used to be a “healthier” dessert option! Since then I’ve learned better but still wanted to make a bar that had the fig filling! These bars are 100% paleo and may not taste exactly like a fig newton but still have a good fig filling!
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup fresh figs
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a saucepan over low heat combine your 1/4 cup water and your figs chopped into small pieces.
- While your figs are cooking in a bowl combine your flours, baking soda, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Next add in the vanilla, almond milk, oil, and eggs, mixing well.
- Pour half of your batter into a greased 8X8 baking pan.
- Put your figs into a blender and pulse until pureed.
- Spread your fig jam on top of the batter.
- Next layer the remaining batter on top of the fig layer.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
Makes 20 Bars.
What’s your favorite classic cookie from your childhood???