I’ve talked before about my obsession with bars! I love them but two of my all time favorites I can no longer eat because they’re not gluten free! This includes Clif bars and Luna bars. They may not be the healthiest or most well balanced option out there but something about them I just love. I may be strange but I would rather eat a Luna bar than a chocolate bar…yes I’m kind of crazy! Anyway when I went gluten free a year and a half ago it wasn’t that big of a deal. I was eating mostly Paleo, so grains weren’t a problem and if I did happen to want a grain like bread, crackers, or cookies, there was always a gluten free option available. In fact the only time I really wish I wasn’t gluten free is when that random craving for a Clif bar or Luna bar pops up. Now I’ve already tried creating a Luna replacement, and a Clif Kid’s Z bar, but have yet to tackle the Clif bar! Well today I did! I’m pretty happy with how these turned out. They’re definitely good I’m just not quite sure how much they remind me of a Clif bar! You be the judge though, either way there’s chocolate in them so you know they have to be decent!
- 1/2 cup crushed brown rice cereal (gluten free)
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup rolled oats (processed in a blender to make an oat flour)
- 2 tbs. ground flaxseed
- 2 tbs. psyllium husk
- 1/2 cup organic brown rice syrup (check the label to make sure it’s gluten free)
- 12 delget dates
- 2 tbs. soy nut butter
- 1 tbs. melted coconut oil
- dash of sea salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 cup enjoy life chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl combine your crushed cereal, oats, oat flour, flax, and psyllium husk.
- Next add in your brown rice syrup and mix well.
- In a blender pulse your dates with 2 tbs. of water until blended and mix into your batter.
- Melt your soy nut butter and coconut oil in the microwave 1 minute and add into the batter.
- Mix in the vanilla, sea salt, and cinnamon.
- Lastly stir in your chocolate chips until combined.
- Spread your mixture into an 8X8 foil lined, and greased pan (the mixture will be sticky)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Makes 12 bars.
What’s your favorite protein bar???