Fourth of July is coming and that means lots of cookouts and parties Wednesday and this weekend. That doesn’t mean you have to eat unhealthy for the week! Here are some tips and recipes to help you out this Fourth of July!
Some gluten free and Paleo meal ideas to bring or serve at your cookout:
Cucumber Tomato Salad-Just like my Great Grandma used to make. This is a super easy salad with no lettuce! My favorite kind!
- 1 Cucumber
- Cherry tomatoes, 2 cups
- Fresh Basil
- Olive oil
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Fresh mozzarella (optional)
Directions: Chop the cucumber and dice the cherry tomatoes in half and toss in a bowl. Once mixed add in fresh chopped basil. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper to your liking and a drizzle of olive oil and red wine vinegar (around 1/2 tbs. each). Super Easy!!! If wanted you can add fresh diced mozzarella as well.
*Little tip, this salad is great with a little chopped red onion too, I just didn’t have any on hand
Want to stay on track…here are some tips
- Drink water…we often mistake hunger for thirst…drink up (and I mean water!)
- Workout early! The later in the day the more excuses to skip out. Get up and out the door for your workout.
- Walk a lap before the fireworks. We spend time sitting at our cookouts and then at the fireworks. Instead while you are waiting walk around, sightsee, whatever you want, just keep moving!
- Bring a healthy option and eat it first! Fill up on that salad, fruit plate, or veggie dish before diving into other less healthy options.
- Cheat wisely! Splurge on foods you can’t have any other time. Your Grandma’s homemade pie she only makes on the Fourth…go for it. Store bought cookies…skip them!
- Don’t stress! Relax and enjoy the day…just set your alarm for an early Thursday morning workout and commit to it!
Random side note: There are a ton of awesome blogger challenges going on for the month of July!!! Taking a note from Ms. Lisa (who you all need to check out too)! Just want to share the blog love!
Katelyn’s Eat Clean Sweat Dirty Challenge is amazing! and such an awesome idea! ChefKatelyn.com
Jenny is doing another awesome blogger challenge with some very original ideas! Peanutbutterjenny.com
Katie, the healthy diva is hosting an instagram challenge! Healthydivaeats.com
Kasey is hosting a Powermeal challenge every Sunday in July! Powercakes.net
Check them all out and join in! I’m going to be participating as much as I can in each! Follow me on Twitter to see the majority of my challenge tweets! Did I miss your challenge? Fill me in and I’ll post it!
What are you doing for the fourth? If you don’t celebrate, any Wednesday plans?