I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I hate the snow! Once the holidays end it seems like here in the Northeast we just have a long winter ahead of us before summer comes (sorry if that’s depressing!). Every year without fail I get a case of the “winter blues”. There’s less sunlight, it’s cold, I spend less time outside…it’s just bound to happen. Now back in the old days this would lead me to do one of two things: Plan healthy meals, count calories, and obsess or way overdo it on cookies, sweets, or food that would just fill me up so my “diet” could start tomorrow. Essentially they both gave me a sense of comfort. They made me feel full and warm inside. I was in control or completely out of control and hating either side of it. Since these two things are no longer part of my life, I’ve learned to come up with other mechanisms to create the “cozy” feeling. Things like putting on my comfiest pair of sweatpants sitting on the couch and watching mindless TV. Or calling a friend or my mom. Reading a totally mindless magazine. Painting my nails and fixing my hair. Taking a nap. There are so many options! So next time you get that “blues” feeling and need a feeling of comfort I want you to find out what exactly can bring you a feeling of “cozy” other than food.
To warm you up a bit here’s a cozy recipe for homemade cocoa and dip to top it with. Now I know this seems counterintuitive, but if you do decide to make this to get that cozy feeling I want you to put it in a fancy mug, sit in a chair and drink it, without distractions! Promise me you’ll do that!
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond breeze
- 2 tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 packet stevia
- In a saucepan over low heat add in all of your ingredients, starting with the almond milk.
- Stir over low heat until everything begins to blend and the cocoa powder has dissolved.
- Continue to heat until warm and enjoy!
Makes 1 serving
This next recipe is the perfect topping for cocoa. The idea comes from my cousin who makes this as a dip for cookies but I personally think it is the perfect cocoa topping. Now remember, no eating this from the container with a spoon, standing up. Scoop out a portion, put it in your fancy cocoa mug, sit down and enjoy it. No guilt necessary!
- 1 tub of all natural whipped topping (I used Tru Whip)
- 15 pieces all natural peppermint hard candies
- organic red food coloring (optional)
- Crush your peppermint hard candies.
- Mix into your whipped topping.
- Add in a drop or two of food coloring to make it pink.
- Top your cocoa!
Makes a ton of servings!
What is your favorite way to get that “cozy” feeling in the winter???