Just a heads up…National donut day is Monday! So get prepared and make these ahead so you have a Paleo and gluten free option to enjoy! You’re getting two recipes in one! The first is just a basic Paleo donut recipe…the next a ton of options to change it up!
For the Donuts:
- ¼ coconut flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup almond milk (I used vanilla unsweetened almond breeze but keep in mind this particular brand isn’t Paleo!)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
For the Topping:
- 2-4 tbs. almond milk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbs. cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl combine your coconut flour, almond flour, arrowroot powder, xanthan gum, baking power, coconut sugar, and cinnamon.
- Next add in your vanilla extract, 2 eggs, and melted coconut oil.
- Lastly add in your almond milk. It will seem like too much liquid at first but keep stirring and it will soak up the liquid.
- Pour your batter into a greased donut pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- While your donuts are baking prepare your cinnamon sugar topping.
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon first and slowly add your almond milk until the mixture thins.
- Lightly drizzle your cinnamon sugar mixture over the donuts and enjoy!
Makes 8 donuts
Some Other Options:
- Almond Butter Donuts~Top your donuts with a thin spread of almond butter and sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Chocolate Chip~Add enjoy life chocolate chips to your batter before baking.
- Coconut~Swap the coconut flour for 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut flakes in your mix. Top with coconut butter.
- Cranberry Orange~Add 1/4 cup dried cranberries and 1 tbs. orange zest to your batter.
A little note on Paleo Sweets: I know I’ve mentioned this before but figured I’d put it up again! A lot of my recipes are not a part of my everyday diet. Paleo is not a healthy lifestyle because of all the Paleo Adaptions out there to normal food. Paleo is so great because it focuses on eating foods in their most basic form…fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, and proteins. Whether you are vegan, paleo, gluten free, vegetarian, or just want to eat something sweet it is still a sweet and while, yes these are made with healthier ingredients and I would much prefer them to store bought donuts I would still not eat them every morning for breakfast! Coconut sugar is a great more natural swap for real sugar but it is still sugar! It still breaks down in our bodies to sugar so continue to use it sparingly in your diet!
Favorite kind of donut??? If you like them at all! I would so much rather have a muffin or a bagel if we’re talking sugary carbs!