Edited to Add: I was working early and had already scheduled this post but I just want to say that my thoughts and prayers are with those who we lost in the terrible tragedy that took place yesterday. No words can be said that will be enough during a tragedy such as this. I’ve been seeing this on a lot of blogs today and I’m going to repeat it: Hug someone you love today.
Today is National cupcake day so why not celebrate with a cupcake? In keeping with the holiday season I decided to make them chocolate peppermint. The cupcake itself is actually Paleo if you exclude the chocolate chips but the frosting is not. Just a little heads up if you’re strict Paleo. These are mini cupcakes too so they’re the perfect treat to make without overdoing it. You won’t have a ton of leftovers too so you don’t have to worry about chocolate cupcakes staring at you from the kitchen counter!
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup enjoy life mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- dash of sea salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. pure peppermint extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl combine your flour, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, baking powder, and sea salt.
- Next add in the rest of your wet ingredients mixing well.
- Pour your batter into a greased mini muffin tin.
- Bake 13-15 minutes until set.
For the Frosting:
- 1/2 tub True Whip or Trader Joe’s House Whip (they’re pretty much the same and both are gluten free)
- 1/4 tsp. pure peppermint extract
- 2-3 drops all natural food coloring if desired
Combine your whipped topping with the peppermint and food coloring if desired to top your cupcakes. Keep in mind this “frosting” is gluten free but not Paleo!
Favorite kind of cupcake???